Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blog Post #2

Did You Know? 3.0
By:Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod
technology


Wow! I really had no idea of these impressive facts. I am so surprised that in the course of getting a four year technical degree half of the information learned will be out dated. What? That really blows my mind.

This video shows how fast technology is growing, but is this really a good thing? I have mixed feelings about the progression. Yes, it is awesome how information can transfer so quickly. However, what does this mean for jobs that will be replaced due to all the highly advanced technology? The video was very informative though!

Mr. Winkle Wakes
By: Matthew Needleman


Poor Mr. Winkle after being asleep for 100 years felt left behind. He had nothing that was familiar to him. He went out to see strange computers and technology. He went to hospitals to see x-rays and life support machines. Then, he went to school and everything was the same. I am sure Mr. Winkle was relieved.

This makes me think though. The children in this video were portrayed as being bored. If we have all this technology, then why can't we use it in our schools? School is not meant to be boring. If we don't use it we will continue to be left behind. Technology can be used to grab the students attention and make school enjoyable. It would make students want to learn! I mean come on, they are our future!

The Importance of Creativity
Sir Ken Robinson
crayons



Woo Hoo! This was a remarkable video! We see the questions about Math, Writing, and English very often from students. Why do we need to learn this? When will we ever use this? I am not saying do away with this, but I agree about letting students express themselves in other things. Creativity is so important it tells each one of us who we really are. I agree 100% with what Mr. Robinson said we do not learn to be creative we are born to be.

All kids have individuality about themselves. For example, my two year old niece, she always randomly breaks out in a song or a dance. I wonder where she comes up with this stuff, but that is what she likes to do at only two years old. When I think about that being taken away from her it is heart breaking. Of course this may be the case when focusing on other things instead of creativity. So, I am all about some creativity! We should not let the heavy learning process get in the way of children being able to express who they truly are.

Cecelia Gault(young student in Finland)



The interview between Cecelia and Mr. Robinson was quite insightful. She asked him a lot of great questions, and I enjoyed listening to his point of view. I love how he always seems to focus of the creativity of students.

He again did express his beliefs on letting children express themselves. I really do look forward to being in my classroom, and using the strategies he puts out. I want to be apart of being able to help and allow children use their creative minds. I hope others are as enthused as I am!

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Vicki Davis


This video was inspiring. I think that what Ms. Davis is doing is awesome. She is teaching them in a hands on and interacting way. Which is seeming to be going quite well for her and her students. She is teaching her students that learning new software can be fun. I think that we all should be taking notes!

Also, I thought it was super cool how she actually engages her students with people from all across the world. She even goes to the extent of taking her class across the world to visit and let them interact with students learning the same things. She really demonstrates educating her students in a fun way for them to lean better.



2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the rapid growth of technology. It is scary how fast things change and progress to levels we could have never imagined. It is increasingly scary to think about what the world will be like in the future! I am very aware of the expansive amount of technology that has become available in just the past few years. It is also important to educate our students to as much as we can, when it comes to computers. In the future they will learn so much and there will be so much new information available. The classrooms need to get out of routine and make the effort to educate our students better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Technology can be used to grab the students attention and make school enjoyable. " technology can't be just an entertainment device. It is a tool. A very powerful tool for collecting, storing, accessing and processing information. It is a powerful too for sharing information, ideas, conclusions, thoughts, procedures with everyone throughout the world. Instantly. Without cost. If we use technology only for (and maybe even for) entertainment then we are totally off base!

    Will you be a "Vicki Davis teacher"?

    ReplyDelete